International Walk Month and Walking Competition
International Walk & Wheel to School Month is celebrated each October. This event is a global celebration of active transportation that promotes healthy and safe alternatives to driving to school. Students, parents, and school staff join their peers from over 40 countries across the world in walking, biking, skateboarding, scootering, or using any other form of active transportation to get to school.
How do I Participate in International Walk and Wheel to School Month or set up a walking competition?
- Obtain approval from your school’s principal to participate.
- Contact traffic safety officer Dan Glasscock, email@example.com, to get support and confirm possible available prizes for the winning class. You can also secure some of your own school prizes.
- This guide will help you plan an event in just 7 days. Plan a one or two-week event in October/April/May. Promote walk_wheel.pptx Days.
- Register your school on https://bikewalkroll.org to track your participation and compare your results with schools across the world! Each teacher can record results for their classroom through the website.
For the walking competition, you can use online pedometers to track steps, Best Free online Pedometers for Android and iPhone, or contact traffic safety officer Dan Glasscock, firstname.lastname@example.org and cc email@example.com to check if there are some pedometers available (a limited amount could be available per school).
- Be sure to share the Pedestrian Safety video with your students.
- Check if there is already a Safe Route map to your school at Safe Routes 4 schools - Regional District of Central Okanagan (rdco.com)
- Provide each student/teacher with a log to track their steps: pedometer_log.pptx or pedometer_log.xlsx
- Draw random prizes for participating students/winner class.
Get involved and celebrate active transportation with us!