Cycling in all weather conditions
In the Central Okanagan, we are blessed with mostly ideal weather and mild winters, but it's is not always bike weather out there! Some simple accessories can help you keep your wheels rolling all year-round. Remember that your local professional bicycle shop can help answer questions and outfit you to suit any cycling conditions you may encounter.
Spring and summer
- The Central Okanagan is famous for warm summers and great cycling, but plan ahead so that you are ready for anything.
- Shorts or lightweight pants designed for cycling are good for warm weather, and offer complete mobility.
- Protective eyewear (like sunglasses) helps shield your eyes from sunlight, road debris, wind and insects.
- Synthetic clothing such as sports tops or cycling jerseys offer increased breathability, moisture management and sun protection.
Fall and winter
Stay warm and dry through the more unpredictable Okanagan seasons.
- Install front and rear fenders to prevent rain from splashing your clothes.
- Vinyl saddle (seat) helps to prevent soaking in the rain. Cover your saddle with a bag when parked out in the elements.
- Keep rain gear stored in your bag or panniers. Make sure rain gear is breathable so it allows air to circulate so you don’t overheat.
- Choose appropriate gloves and footwear to keep you warm in cooler weather.
Other Accessories to consider
- Bell to alert pedestrians and other cyclists when using shared pathways
- Water bottle and holder
- Pant clips or bands help prevent your pants from getting caught in your bike’s chain
- Mirror to help you see behind you (but remember to check over your shoulder, too)
- Bike bags (panniers), bike basket or even a milk crate attached by bungee cords to your rear rack
- Copy of a Pathway or Trail Bicycle Map (or your favorite cycling navigation App).
- Roadside repair kit including a tire pump, spare tube and tire removal levers for flat repair and a universal bike tool for other repairs. Learn more about bike maintenance and repairs.
- Don’t want to change a flat? Sign up for BCAA Cycle Assist and they will do the work for you!
- Remember to always bring and use your bike lock, so your bike will stay safe while you're at work or in a business.